Saturday, January 17, 2015

First Canvas and an Image transfer


Hi friends

I have been going through a lot of mixed media videos on YouTube and I came across Andy Skinner's technique called Splash and image transfer. I have also been following an amazing artist Betty Franks Krause of Mystic Tulip Mixed Media. She has plenty of YouTube videos and is generously sharing her tips and techniques of adding layers of texture and colors to Art pieces  and mixed media works. 

This is acrylics and inks on canvas inspired by this video here, I started with a canvas with lots of colors, random stamping, texture and ink drips and old book pages.......


 old book pages teared into circles and added with gel medium.....



 I have followed Andy Skinner's video to create this project using Camel Artist quality Acrylic colors, camel inks, camel retarder for acrylics and clear varnish. The Johnny Depp image is a free image from his site  here which was resized to fit the 8'x10' canvas.

 The splatters in white , black and red were added with Isomars ink pens. Here you can see the sides of the canvas ...the colors, texture and stamping have extended to all the sides. please have a look at Andy's tutorial for all the steps, he's explained it beautifully !! Hope you would like my first attempt at a canvas.......


I am about to finish another one using Image transfer and will share shortly .

Paper Artsy has a unique theme for this month which is to use fragile papers. The design team has put up lots of inspiration, I was inspired by Kate Yetter's project using book pages and the striking focal image used by her.


Update : This was featured as Designer Spotlight on Simon says Stamp : Inky background

Please do leave your comments. I would love to read what you say and I would love to visit your blog too !!

17 comments:

Rupa Swaminathan said...

Absolutely stunning. ..Johnny Depp. ..loooove it Suman. Full marks for that.

SD pooja said...

Wow..Lots of layers on this one..Its something different and totally Amazing !

Hussena said...

Your canvas is stunning ..Absolutely love the colors and the textures you have created here !!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I love all the layers and colors. Your image transfer is perfect. Thank you for following my art and videos!

Hazel Agnew said...

The word stunning seems to fit the bill. Absolutely love everything!

sheila 77 said...

Your painting is fabulous with all these colours and textures, such a great choice of colours. I actually liked the stage you showed without the photo too, with the butterfly in this marvellous colour field.
Great result and thanks for the link to the videos which I will certainly follow.

Pamellia said...

Wow, gorgeous and for your first one!!! Love all the wonderful splashes of colour! Great canvas! hugs :)

Strangely Creative said...

Hi there! What a great canvas and the choice of image is wonderful, I love the circles of print they add a different dimension to it. Its great.

PaperArtsy said...

brilliant, looks like loads of fun to make!

Suzanne C said...

Gorgeous first canvas! I love how the image came across with it's translucency and the beautiful colors showing through. Thanks for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

WOW! This piece is truly a work of art! I can picture it hanging in a gallery with a hefty price tag! I am really impressed with this, especially when you said it was your FIRST attempt! If this is your first attempt, I can't imagine what your 10th attempt would look like! I really like the way the background is so strong and interesting, yet not the point of overshadowing your powerful imagery. You really nailed this in terms of everything balancing and working together. I feel thoroughly inspired, so thank you so much for sharing your talents with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

Ruth said...

What a fabulous vibrant make, the splatters really finish the piece off. Thanks so much for joining us at ATP Exchange. Ruth x

Jasleen Kaur said...

Such a riot of colours !! Gorgeous textures too. If you can do this in your first attempt, I think you'll go places with this art very soon. :)

yyam said...

I LOVE the colours here! Amazing work!

Dana Tatar said...

Wow! This is fantastic! I'm a huge Johnny fan so this piece is twice as nice. ;) Thanks for sharing all the links. I'd love to try these techniques. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Pooja Sharma said...

Wow amazing work mam

Shilpi said...

I'm simply awestruck !!! Love the way your Johnny Depp's image and vibrant colors and beautiful textures are complimenting each other....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...